Community Banking Initiative
Community banks play a vital role in the functioning of the U.S financial system and the broader economy, from lending to small business owners and farmers, to providing critical banking services in small towns and rural communities across the nation. As the lead federal regulator for community banks, the FDIC monitors industry trends and provides technical assistance in a variety of ways, including training videos, research, and workshops.
November 24, 2015
Quarterly Banking Profile
Third quarter 2015 comprehensive summary of financial results for all FDIC-insured institutions. Community banks earnings outpaced the industry as a whole.
November 4, 2015
The FDIC has added three new vignettes to the Cyber Challenge.
- Vignette 5 - Ransomware: A cyber-attack has taken place. Word processing files are being held for ransom.
- Vignette 6 - ATM Malware: An ATM virus reveals difficiencies in a bank's sevice provider contract.
- Vignette 7 - DDoS as a Smokescreen: While the IT manager investigates a possible DDoS attack, a second attack exfiltrates data from the institution.
October 27, 2015
New Technical Assistance Videos
This video series is designed to assist bank directors with understanding cybersecurity risks and related risk management programs, and to elevate cybersecurity discussions from the server room to the board room.
- Evolution of Data Security, Cybersecurity, and Threat Environment
- Information Security Programs Refocused, Cybersecurity Assessment Tool, and Additional Resources