Financial Institution Letters
July 29, 2014
Supervisory Insights Journal
Summer 2014 Issue Now Available
The Summer 2014 issue of Supervisory Insights features two articles of interest to examiners, bankers, and supervisors. These articles discuss the FDIC's efforts to assist community banks in managing their regulatory responsibilities and trends in "Matters Requiring Board Attention (MRBA)." The publication is available at http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/examinations/supervisory/insights/index.html.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Total Assets Under $1 Billion: The information contained in this issue of Supervisory Insights may be of general interest to FDIC-supervised financial institutions, but it is not supervisory guidance.
- "Alternatives to Consultants: Meeting Regulatory Expectations with Internal Resources" highlights information available from the FDIC to assist community banks in managing their regulatory responsibilities. This article describes how making use of technical assistance and maintaining an open dialogue with FDIC staff can help banks clarify regulatory expectations and may help economize on the use of outside consulting services. The FDIC believes the institutions we supervise often can use internal resources to maintain a sound risk management framework.
- "Supervisory Trends: 'Matters Requiring Board Attention' Highlight Evolving Risks in Banking" describes the MRBA categories cited most often at satisfactorily rated institutions and highlights trends in these categories since 2010.
- "Regulatory and Supervisory Roundup" provides an overview of recently released regulations and supervisory guidance.
- Suggestions for article topics and requests for permission to reprint articles should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for print copies should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
- FDIC-Supervised Institutions
- Chief Executive Officer
- Compliance Officer
- Banks' Use of Consultants
- Matters Requiring Board Attention
- Kim E. Lowry, Managing Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-898-6635)
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) are available on the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2014/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).