Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News - Winter 2000/2001

FDIC Consumer News - Winter 2000/2001

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

For More Help or Information Regarding Your Rights to Financial Privacy

  • Your financial institution can answer questions about its information-sharing practices and your rights to privacy. Contact the department listed in the privacy notice you receive.
  • The federal regulators of depository institutions listed on our "For More Information" page can address questions about your rights to financial privacy.
  • The Federal Trade Commission enforces privacy laws that apply to a wide variety of nondepository institutions that collect consumer financial information, such as mortgage lenders and brokers, check-cashing outlets, and retailers that offer charge cards. For information, write to the FTC's Consumer Response Center, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 130, Washington, DC 20580, call toll-free 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357), or go to www.ftc.gov/privacy/index.html on the FTC's Web site.
  • The Securities and Exchange Commission is the federal regulator of stock brokerage firms and other investment companies. Contact the SEC's Office of Investor Education and Assistance, 450 5th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20549, send an e-mail to help@sec.gov, or call 202-942-7040.
  • Your state insurance commissioner is responsible for enforcing privacy laws involving insurance companies and agents. To contact your state commissioner, check the government section of your phone book or go to www.naic.org, the Web site for the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.

Previous StoryTable of Contents Next Story
Last Updated 03/05/2001 communications@fdic.gov