Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News - Fall 2000

FDIC Consumer News - Fall 2000

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

For More Help or Information Regarding Brokered CDs

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) can answer your questions about how brokered deposits are covered by federal insurance. Contact the FDIC's Division of Compliance and Consumer Affairs toll-free at 800-934-3342, or by mail at 550 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20429. You can also find resource materials and a form to send questions online by going to our Customer Assistance page at www.fdic.gov/quicklinks/consumers.html. Also look for more tips and information about brokered CDs at www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/certificate/index.html on the FDIC's Web site. Note: The FDIC does not examine, approve or insure deposit brokers.

If you want to check out a person or company selling brokered CDs, or if you want to file a complaint, a good place to start is your state government's consumer protection office, which will be listed in your local phone book and other directories, often as part of the state Attorney General's office.

If your question or complaint involves a securities broker or brokerage firm, you may want to go directly to your state securities regulator, which will be listed in your phone book or at www.nasaa.org on the Web site of the North American Securities Administrators Association. Other sources of consumer information and assistance in matters involving securities brokers and brokerage firms include the Securities and Exchange Commission (Office of Investor Education and Assistance, 450 5th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20549; www.sec.gov) and the National Association of Securities Dealers (a self-regulatory industry group at 800-289-9999; www.nasdr.com).

Previous StoryTable of Contents Next Story
Last Updated 09/08/2000 communications@fdic.gov