The Kansas City Alliance for Economic Inclusion (AEI) consists of 350 individuals representing 225 organizations in a broad-based coalition of financial institutions, community-based organizations, businesses, schools and other partners in several markets across the Kansas City metro area. AEI focuses on bringing unbanked and underserved populations into the financial mainstream.
Kansas City AEI seeks to expand basic retail financial service usage such as savings accounts, affordable remittance products, small-dollar loan programs, targeted financial education programs, alternative delivery channels and other asset-building programs. To further achieve AEI goals of helping the low- and moderate-income community, Kansas City AEI is working to increase banking services for minority and immigrant communities, and rural areas.
On behalf of AEI, the FDIC’s Kansas City Regional Office Community Affairs sends monthly e-mails to a large distribution list of employers, teachers, parents, students, community service organizations, government agencies, and others that outline the initiatives that serve the Kansas City metropolitan area. The Kansas City AEI currently supports 35 large initiatives and outreach efforts that provide financial education. In 2012 the initiatives provided financial education to over 100,000 individuals in the Kansas City metro area. The FDIC also helps support three year-round community financial education calendars.
On September 3, 2013, 177 individuals attended the Kansas City AEI meeting at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. Since 2007, over 350 AEI members have contributed to the opening of a combined 64,570 new bank accounts and 167,235 individuals receiving financial education.
Specific AEI initiatives and working groups are listed below.
Kansas City AEI supported initiatives:
All initiatives serve 500 individuals or more with financial education, programs, products or services.
- Administration for Children and Families (ACF) The ASSET
- Alliance for Economic Inclusion
- Bank On Save Up KC
- CHES, Inc.
- Entrepreneurship Challenge
- Fair Community Credit
- Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- Financial Inclusion Project of MKC (Metro Kansas City)
- Financial Planning Association
- Free Financial Education Resources
- Full Employment Council
- Global Entrepreneurship Week
- Heartland Habitat for Humanity
- Junior Achievement
- Kansas and Missouri - County Research and Extension
- Kansas City Microloan Program
- Kansas City Metropolitan Employer Outreach Team
- Kansas City Metro Support Team
- Kansas City Saves
- Kansas Small Business Development Center (KSBDC)
- Missouri and Kansas Council on Economic Education–Stock Market Game
- Money Smart Month KC
- Money Smart Month Kansas City Financial Education Calendar
- Neighborhood Housing Services
- Next Step KC
- NetWork Kansas
- Reality U
- UMKC Center for Economic Education
- United Way 211
- United Services Community Action Agency
- Women's Employment Network
- Workforce Partnership
the Regional Initiatives page