Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Summer 2007 – Special Edition: 51 Ways to Save Hundreds on Loans and Credit Cards

For More Help or Information on Loans and Credit Cards

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation publishes consumer information and has other resources that can help answer questions on loans, credit cards and other financial matters. Start at www.fdic.gov or call toll-free 1-877-275-3342. Back issues of our quarterly FDIC Consumer News and articles referenced in this special edition are available at that same Web site or upon request from our Public Information Center at the same phone number as above. To send a question to the FDIC, e-mail us using the Customer Assistance Form at www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp or send a letter to the FDIC, Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection, 550 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20429-9990.

Other federal agencies also publish consumer information and respond to inquiries. A good place to start is www.mymoney.gov, the federal government's central Web site about managing your money. It is a service of the interagency Financial Literacy and Education Commission, of which the FDIC is a partner.

The Federal Citizen Information Center (FCIC), perhaps best known for its information clearinghouse based in Pueblo, Colorado, helps answer questions on everyday issues. For example, the FCIC can direct you to the appropriate federal government agency that can respond to a question or complaint. Go to www.usa.gov or toll-free 1-800-333-4636.

State and local government agencies also publish consumer information and help answer questions on money matters. Go to your state or local government's Web site or call a consumer protection office listed in your phone book or other directories.

FDIC-insured banks, other financial institutions and professional associations, consumer organizations and the news media publish personal finance tips on loans, credit cards and other topics. You can find a number of excellent sites by searching the Internet.

Previous Story Table of Contents  

Last Updated 08/10/2007