Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Spring 2012

For More Help or Information Regarding CDs

To learn more about a variety of CDs and issues to consider before you buy, read the FDIC’s “Certificates of Deposit: Tips for Savers,” at www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/certificate/index.html.

For help or information on deposit insurance coverage, visit www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or contact the FDIC’s Call Center toll-free at 1-877-275-3342.

If you have a complaint about a CD you purchased through a bank,
try to resolve the matter directly with that institution. If you are unable to work things out with the bank, you may complain to its federal regulator. Not sure who that is? You can call the FDIC’s Call Center (see above) for guidance.

If you have a problem with a CD sold by an investment firm,
you have a couple of options. To submit a complaint against a salesperson who represents an investment firm, contact the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (www.finra.org or 1-301-590-6500). If your complaint is about a CD or another financial product sold by an investment firm, consult the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov or 1-800-SEC-0330).

Previous Story Table of Contents Next Story

Last Updated 5/17/2012