Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Fall 2005 - A Special Guide for Seniors and Families

For More Information

The FDIC offers a variety of assistance to help consumers understand how to handle their money and resolve complaints. Go to the FDIC Web site at www.fdic.gov or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC, which is 1-877-275-3342, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time. For the hearing-impaired, call 1-800-925-4618. Also, for details about the FDIC's special resources on deposit insurance issues, see For More Information About FDIC Insurance . We also encourage you to read our quarterly newsletter FDIC Consumer News. Back issues and articles referenced in this special report for seniors are available at www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/news or upon request from the FDIC Public Information Center (the same phone numbers as above). You can also sign up to receive an e-mail notice about each new posted on the Web site, with links to stories. Just follow the instructions at www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/index.html.

Many other federal, state and local government agencies publish consumer information and have staff, Web sites and other resources that can help answer your questions on financial matters.

A good place to start is www.mymoney.gov, the federal government's central Web site about managing your money. It is a service of the interagency Financial Literacy and Education Commission, which includes the FDIC. Also check out www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Seniors, which covers a wide variety of issues for seniors, including retirement and money. It is from USA.gov, the official central Web site for U.S. government information.

In addition, the Federal Citizen Information Center manages a call center to help answer questions about federal government programs and services at toll-free 1-800-333-4636.

For information on general tax-related questions, such as when you can withdraw from a retirement account without a penalty, call the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 or go to www.irs.gov.

Regarding your Social Security benefits or how to file a benefit claim, contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or go to www.socialsecurity.gov. For assistance regarding an employer's private retirement plan contact the Employee Benefits Security Administration, part of the U.S. Department of Labor, at toll free 1-866-444-3272 or go to www.dol.gov/ebsa.

The Eldercare Locator service of the U.S. Administration on Aging (part of the Department of Health and Human Services) helps older Americans and their caregivers connect with state and local government agencies and community-based organizations that can assist with a variety of problems. Call 1-800-677-1116 or search online at www.eldercare.gov.

Also visit the Financial Security in Later Life page on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Web site at www.csrees.usda.gov/fsll. It features links to financial education programs nationwide that are affiliated with the Cooperative Extension System and useful information on money management for seniors and families.


Previous Story Table of Contents

Last Updated 01/11/2007