Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News
Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Fall 2004

Who to Call to Report a Possible ID Theft

The fraud department at any one of the three major credit bureaus. Ask for a fraud alert to be placed in your file at all three companies. The alert tells lenders and other users of credit reports to be careful before opening or changing accounts in your name. Also followup with a letter. The special toll-free numbers for the fraud departments are: Equifax at 800-525-6285, Experian at (888) 397-3742 and TransUnion at (800) 680-7289. Get addresses and other details at www.equifax.com, www.experian.com and www.transunion.com.

Your bank, credit card company or any other financial institution that may need to know. Ask to speak with someone in the security or fraud department, and follow up with a letter. If necessary, close old accounts and open new ones, and select new passwords and “PINs”(personal identification numbers).

Your local police or the police where the identity theft occurred. Fill out a police report that will detail what happened and get a copy for future reference.

The Federal Trade Commission. Call toll-free 877-IDTHEFT (438-4338). Fill out a complaint form online at the FTC’s ID Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft. Or, mail a letter to: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580. An “ID Theft Affidavit” available on the FTC Web site also can be used to help you prove you are an innocent victim and help you keep debts you did not incur from appearing on your credit report.

Previous StoryTable of ContentsNext Story

Last Updated 12/7/2011 communications@fdic.gov